Humanity is an obsessively creative species. We just can’t help ourselves. We create stuff everyday in every imaginable way. There is no one on this earth that is not in some way, creative.
We also do the opposite. We destroy! Look around at what we have done to this earth and our fellow human beings. It is disgusting. Our world clearly needs a new and positive direction. A 180° shift sounds about right, and 180° brings us solidly into the life-affirming power of creativity.
Is it fair to say that if we can change our own lives, we change the world? After all, we are Kings and Queens of our private universe, and as such we can create what we wish in our personal world. By extension then, we can affect the lives of everyone we interact with. Does that make sense? I think it does.
We need only change our personal spin on creativity to affect the whole. Simple creative acts have exponential power. Be creative for the joy of it. Make something useful and beautiful from nothing, or exercise everyday magic by transforming mundane space into an inspiration. These small creative acts are precursors for greater action. The people we love and associate with will follow our example in their own way. Joyful creativity is seductive.
Think about that for a moment. Understand and own the simple power you possess to affect your world — our world.
3 Reasons to be More Creative
- Because it feels good. Creativity rewards you with warm and fuzzy feelings. Create something from nothing and you will be proud of yourself. You could pay a bundle on self-esteem workshops to get the benefits that your creative muse will gladly provide for free.
- Because it is useful. You could develop the prototype for a new product that would help millions. How many times have you said, “Someone should invent…?” Why not do it yourself? You might reorganize and decorate your home or work space to raise the inspiration and energy levels. You can have great fun creating things that will provide lasting benefits. You win no matter what.
- Because it will improve your world. When you are creative, you are more apt to own and declare who you are in tangible ways in your world. When you do this you infect others with your spirit. They get your positive enthusiasm and emulate it in their own lives — and on it goes.
7 Ways to Experience More Creative Joy
- Take regular time-out to relax and play. If you can schedule a trip to the doctor, you can schedule time out. Children are creative because they enjoy relaxing and playing.
- Stop. Open your eyes. Breathe. Even when stress is breaking you down you can do these three things. When you do, creative possibilities float up through the cracks. This creates opportunity. Use it.
- Ask What if…? as often as possible. What if I changed this so that…? What if I could find a way to…? “What if…” is the most creative question in existence. How often do you ask it? How big are the questions?
- Sign up for art, decorating, writing, or music classes. Empower your creative drive with structured training. This one decision can change your life forever, and affect everyone around you. You don’t know what you might create and accomplish with new skills, until you have them.
- Identify just one thing that you want to create or change — then do it. Just begin. Ignore your fear and start somewhere. The magic is always in the beginning. Anything is possible after that.
- Hangout at your local building supply, book store, coffee shop, art store, music shop, or scrap metal merchant. Go wherever your inclinations lead you to find material and ideas to play with. Be bold. Be you.
- Design and build a workshop, writing, or studio space. Creating a properly equipped physical space in which to work and play, creates a mirror of this within you. As you build this space you will create an equally well-equipped and dedicated mind space. It doesn’t need to be lavish. It only requires enthusiasm, respect, and some creative planning.
Every one of us is responsible for the course of our collective creativity and our collective destruction. You and I are personally responsible for the direction humanity takes from this point forward.
Our development as a species is now offering us a gift. We have reached a critical mass in social conscience, power of communication, and practical creativity. We CAN change our world. We CAN create more life-affirming societies throughout the world.
It begins and ends with how we live and share our individual creative joy. Simplicity is at the core of creation. Never underestimate the immense power that resides in the small and beautiful spaces we forge within us – and how that spreads through the world by example and interaction.
Over to you now…