Seduction is a big part of life for us mortals.
Seduction is in our genes. We’re programmed to seek satisfaction but when we talk about satisfying our seductive desires, most of us automatically think of sexual seduction.
And sexual seduction is powerful stuff for sure. Is there anyone out there who has not fallen under the intoxicating spell of some god or goddess who has targeted us in their sexual sights?
But sexual gratification is not seduction’s main target. Believe it or not, we mostly seduce ourselves and it has nothing to do with sex.
Why do we Seduce Ourselves?
We seduce ourselves because we can, and because we get instant gratification from it. We have more choices than say, squirrels, because we are more intelligent than squirrels, but it seems that we haven’t learned to choose wisely.
Instead, we are probably the most gullible creature on the planet. We will believe almost any promise of satisfaction — completely ignoring the price we must pay for it — as long as it satisfies our immediate desires. To that end, we often transform our world view into a short-sighted, slick and slippery slope; a temporary place that works for us only as long as we keep finding new ground to stand on, and new desires to quench.
It doesn’t sound like there is much of a future in that does it? You would think we’d get the message, but apart from being gullible, we are also tenacious. We just hate to give up on the path of least resistance, and so we keep enticing ourselves forward.
How to Seduce Yourself
Here then are my top 10 ways to seduce yourself:
- It’s not your fault: Accepting blame is too judgemental. Abdicate ownership of your circumstances and they’ll improve by themselves.
- There’s plenty of time: Sure it’s important, but it can wait. It’ll still be here tomorrow and so will you.
- You don’t need to say “I love you:” They already know it.
- You’re better than them: Most people can’t see how wonderful you are because they are not capable of it. Don’t waste your time on them.
- You never have to say you’re sorry: Apologizing for hurting someone only aggravates the wound. Let sleeping dogs lie; they will soon forget.
- Happiness can wait: There’s money to be made. The more money you make today, the happier you’ll be tomorrow.
- The simple life is for simple people: You are capable of more than that. Get as much as you can, as fast as you can. The more you acquire, the better you’ll feel.
- You don’t have to be happy at your job: You just have to be good at it so that you can progress — into more of the same.
- Your relationship is just fine: Power games and emotional manipulation are perfectly normal and healthy.
- Don’t listen to that small voice within: It doesn’t know what it is talking about. It’s just your false sense of guilt trying to sabotage you.
Now, I know that I have seduced and deceived myself in so many more ways than this, but this is all I can think of right now. Perhaps I am trying to forget the rest. After all, they aren’t really that important are they :-)?
Over to you now!